2015 was the year that we saw the issue of systemic, professional burnout make its unfortunate entrance onto the stage of high technology and DevOps. In this episode, we interview the world’s foremost expert on burnout, Dr. Christina Maslach, a psychology professor and researcher at UC Berkeley about burnout, its causes and effects, and most importantly: what we can do about it. It’s been a year since a series of events started the conversation in our industry and it has all but died back down again. But for people, teams, and organizations struggling with burnout, it remains a critical issue for the industry to confront. Join the entire Ship Show Crew and Dr. Maslach for a very special episode of the podcast:
Join J. Paul Reed, aka @jpaulreed, Youssuf El-Kalay, aka @buildscientist, EJ Ciramella, aka @eciramella Sascha Bates, aka @sascha_d Seth Thomas, aka @cheeseplus, Pete Cheslock, aka @petecheslock, J. Michael McGarr, aka @SonOfGarr, and Katherine Daniels, aka @beerops for the discussion, plus the last few of weeks in News & Views and a special end segments.
- 2:23 – News & Views
- Netflix and Google announce Spinnaker, Asgard’s successor
- As containers continue heating up, 10 Things to Avoid in Docker Containers
- Pete’s view on “Stateful Containers“
- Paul’s architectural diagram of containers with interdependent microservices
- OpenBSD’s LibreSSL unaffected by the new DROWN OpenSSL vulnerability
- Glibc vulnerability reminds us all Glibc exists
- Etsy releases tools for managing your ELK cluster when, for instance, you need to upgrade glibc
- 24:00 – Main Segment: Extinguishing Burnout
- 2015 Velocity Santa Clara panel on Burnout
- Christie Koehler’s departure from Mozilla
- Dr. Maslach’s original research on the topic: Burnout: The Cost of Caring
- Banshing Burnout: Six Strategies for Improving Your Relationship with Work
- Of her books, Dr. Maslach recommends reading The Truth About Burnout: How Organizations Cause Personal Stress and What to Do About It first
- 1:19:20 – An End Segment to End All End Segments
An End Segment to End All End Segments
The crew takes a moment to reminisce on over three and a half years of The Ship Show.
What is the best strategy you’ve found, personally or with your team, to tackle burnout?
What was your favorite episode or moment of The Ship Show?
Join the discussion!