With the explosion in popularity and usage of Git and its distributed version control brethren, developers finally have cheap, easy, local branching. But branching is pointless without merging, and many organizations are finding that the free-for-all merge process that Git can leave your organization with (mostly by being totally silent on the subject) is error prone, doesn’t scale, and may even destroy content! As you search for the perfect branching model, questions like “should we use fast-forward merges or merge commits,” “When do we rebase (if ever)?” and “What repository structure should we use” are bound to crop up, along with “can’t we just use git flow?” Join the panel as they grab a razor and a yak and talk:
Join J. Paul Reed, aka @SoberBuildEng, Youssuf El-Kalay, aka @buildscientist, EJ Ciramella, aka @eciramella, Sascha Bates, aka @sascha_d, and Seth Thomas, aka @cheeseplus plus the last couple of weeks in News & Views and a Tool Tip!
- 2:37 – News & Views
- 2:41 – DigitalOcean finds duplicated SSH host keys in its cloud
- 3:39 – C Ints Are Finite Numbers
- 9:16 – An ex-Microsoft manger reminisces on the effects of the stack-ranked review process
- 12:50 – Google finally admits GPA and SAT scores don’t correlate to employee success
- 14:26 – Main Segment: Branching, Merging, and Octopi (Oh My!)
- 15:14 – Laura Wingerd’s “tofu scale“
- 37:47 – Git flow
- 38:31 – GitHub uses their own “GitHub flow”, not Git flow
- 40:50 – For self-hosted git repositories gitolite adds bumpers to the bowling lane
- 45:27 – Git removes a useful merge strategy in an attempt to prompt certain cultural behavior
- 46:22 – The source code for Git’s octopus merge strategy (126.96.36.199 version)
- 54:08 – Tool Tip
- 58:13 – The first Flowcon is coming to San Francisco on November 1st; use the discount code shipshow to receive a 10% discount
- 58:52 – Flowcon’s program, including our very own Sascha Bates!
Paul reviews Storm, a tool to “manage your SSH like a boss!”
What branching and merging models do you like? Which ones do you despise?
Or do you just hope you don’t have to worry about any of it?
Join the discussion!